Thursday, January 16, 2014

I Have a Dream

I have a dream...

January 20 marks the 41st anniversary of the speech by Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. at the "March on Washington." It was one of the greatest demonstrations of freedom in the history of our nation. He reflects upon the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. He states that we are all guaranteed the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Most of the students in our Lutheran schools are too young to know of the equality that was fought for in the 1960s. Even though American history is one of my favorite subjects, I cannot really fathom the deep turmoil of our country at that time. I must admit that I had never even taken the time to read his speech until I started to write this post. He had a dream that his children will live in a nation where they are not judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream as well. I have a dream that our Lutheran schools will be a safe place for children to learn. I have a dream that our Lutheran schools will teach children how to share the Gospel. I have a dream that our Lutheran schools will be a place in our communities for families to fellowship in a quality Christian environment.

What is the dream of your Lutheran school? How will you as a parent, church member, or church worker create your dream?

Don't forget to join #LuthEd on January 20 at 9:00 PM EST. We'll be discussing ideas for National Lutheran Schools Week.