Thursday, January 9, 2014

What is #LuthEd?

Happy Thursday, Lutheran educators!

Many of you may have already heard of Twitter. Perhaps you have heard it mentioned on television, seen it on your Facebook feed, or even have an account that you started during a professional development session. If you haven't, it might be time to at least take a look. I recall a day when I was teaching my second graders how to put their name and number (we used numbers to help with grading management) on their homework with the # symbol, and one of them pipes up, "You mean a hashtag?" I chuckled and asked him how he knew that. He responded, "Oh, I saw it on YouTube." We are teaching a generation of digital natives, so we should at least be able to understand their langauage.

Here is a video that gives you a quick overview of Twitter:


If you don't have a Twitter account, the following link may be helpful in getting you started: 

Make a Twitter Account

I have found that the best way to get started on Twitter is to join a Twitter chat. Chats are generally held for one hour per week with a specific group of people. For example, I enjoy the #satchat on Saturday mornings where people are invited join in discussions regarding school leadership. The following link offers you an extensive list of Twitter chat offerings:

Weekly Twitter Chat Times

I have had a Twitter account for a few years, and it has always been a dream of mine to create one for Lutheran educators. I was so excited to see that a group of great Lutheran educators had already started one. Each Monday at 9:00 PM EST, #LuthEd meets to chat on topics from a Lutheran perspective. Some of the former topics have included:
  • Digital Collaboration in Lutheran Schools
  • Digital Citizenship
  • Leveraging technology in faith development projects and curriculum
  • Professional Development in Lutheran Schools
  • Managing Digital Distractions
  • Why and How to be a Part of Building our Students' Learning Networks, and the Limits of Internet Blocking
  • Classroom and School Devices
  • Best practices for developing collaborative projects with students
Now, I must admit, this post may have some shameless marketing of my own design. On January 20, I will be moderating a chat on National Lutheran Schools Week. I would really love to hear about how your school celebrates National Lutheran Schools Week. Please feel free to share ideas below!