Thursday, February 13, 2014

What is Love?

What is love? If you are a teacher, Valentine's Day consists of decorated mailboxes, ensuring that every child has a copy of the class list for name writing, and students that have enjoyed a little too much sugar. Is that love? When I walk into Lutheran schools, I see acts of love everywhere. I see the student that offers to help a younger child tie his shoe. I see the parent offering to bring in a cold treat on a hot day. I see the retired pastor coming to the school to help students with their homework.


In my former ministry, the parents planned Valentine's Day parties for the classroom. After a few games, they passed out the treats for the kids. I am walking around chatting with them and capturing their joy in the classroom. As I was doing so, I stopped in front of one student's desk. A little background on this student: This student's red hair, freckles, and mischievous grin give away every bit of the class clown that he is. However, he is also caring and quite the engineer. In addition, he holds a very special place in my heart, but that is a story for another day. As I come to his desk, I find him sitting there looking at this cookie and the pretzel bits he used to make the three crosses.

Now, isn't that the act of ultimate love? God sent His son to die on the cross for our sins. There is nothing that we have to do to earn that forgiveness. He has given it to us as believers in Christ. He loves us, he cares for us, and we are His children. There is no great love than this!

Where do you see love in your school?