Friday, April 25, 2014

Leaps of Faith

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation. Hebrews 11:1-2

The other day, I was substitute teaching and watching a student struggle through a math problem using mental math. She wanted to return to her seat to complete the problem with paper-and-pencil, but I asked her to work with me in order to complete it. I could see that the answer was at the tip of her tongue, but she was afraid of being incorrect. Slowly but surely she wrote out the correct answer. For her, that was a pretty big leap of faith.
 
What is a leap of faith? I think many of us have taken them over the years. A new job. Marriage. Change. A leap of faith. In times of new changes, people tend to wish the other person "Good luck!" However, in my line of work, we don't work on luck. We work on faith. Over the years, I have been privileged to watch and take some pretty amazing leaps of faith over the years.

I have watched a unruly student turn to the Lord in prayer for help. I have watched a family join a church through the witness of their child. I have watched numerous friends take a leap of faith by accepting a Call to serve in a new place. On Tuesday, many new pastors and their families will be going through Call Day. They will be learning of the places they will serve for both vicarage and pastoral roles.

If you would like to learn more, visit: http://callday.csl.edu/. Take some time to include these families in your prayers as the Lord blesses and prepares them for ministry.