Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Importance of Professional Development

How do you strive to make improvements in your classroom? When I first started as a teacher, I greatly valued Scholastic's New Teacher website. I loved their calendars of fun activities and their forums that provided me a place to ask questions to improve as a teacher.

After a few years, I was blessed with the opportunity to develop a 1:1 technology program. I joined Twitter and other social networks to develop my personal learning network. I learned from some of the best in Lutheran schools regarding the implementation of a technology program. I am so thankful for those that collaborate and discuss in #luthed each week.

Most recently, I have been working on my master's degree in educational leadership and administration. I enjoy the rigor of the program as well as the experience with educators in public schools. Their knowledge and experience in a setting different than Lutheran schools is of high value to me. Yet, the Christian university still allows me to present my research from a Lutheran perspective.

Now, I am blessed to serve on the Lutheran Educators Association (LEA) elementary leadership team. The LEA organization has long been something that I have valued. While there are many professional learning organizations, LEA provides connections and ideas that are distinctly Lutheran. Shaping the Future discusses topics that are relevant to Lutheran schools and their communities. The forums provide a place for us to seek advice and concepts with other Lutheran teachers.

What form of professional development are you currently using? Consider making a New Year's resolution of 15 minutes per day or 30 minutes per week to grow as an educator. God's blessings on your time of renewal and relaxation during the Christmas season!